I LOVE to bake, but I’m definitely no expert. I enjoy starting with a range of different ingredients and then helping them merge into something tasty and pretty to look it. Mmmm…
As Autumn is upon us I thought I’d try and bake with some seasonal ingredients. When I went to the supermarket the first thing that jumped out at me was blackberries, they looked so dark, plump and shiny that I couldn’t resist!
So here are Black Velvet Cupcakes (found in Tesco’s magazine; September 2015):
You will need:
For the cakes:
100g plain chocolate; chopped
100g salted butter
180g caster sugar
2 large eggs
200g self-raising flour
150g blackberries, crushed (plus 12 whole to decorate)
For the frosting:
100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
125g soft cheese, at room temperature
450g icing sugar
Violet food colouring gel
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius/ gas 4
2. Put the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and set over a pan of simmering water. Heat gently until melted then leave to cool.
3. Stir the sugar into the chocolate mixture, followed by the eggs, then add 75ml of boiling water and stir. Sift in the self raising flour, a pinch of salt and then add the crushed blackberries. Stir again.
4. Divide the batter between 12 cases (I used muffin ones; they rise quite a bit!). Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre. Leave the cakes to cool.
5. For the frosting, put the butter and soft cheese into a bowl and mix with a whisk until smooth. Gradually add the icing sugar, stirring well. (You actually need to use a whisk, I tried a spoon but the frosting stayed really thin. As soon as I switched to a whisk it thickened up). Add the food gel to your desired colour.
6. Using a palette knife, (or the back of a spoon), spread the frosting over the cakes and top with a whole blackberry.
I hope you enjoy making them as much as I did!